So if this is the expectation for athletes and soldiers, why do we sometimes accept a far lower standard for private patents? Is it just because we don't know we can expect better? I can guarantee that everybody would benefit and feel great for 6-12 hours after a hands on session with a Physiotherapist, and if thats what the patients need then that's great. But when we have the ability to help create significant and long lasting change (on top of feeling good for short periods)... shouldn't we do that!?
By taking this approach, you can visit a Physiotherapist who is an expert in movement and they can both treat your acute symptoms and take you all the way through to helping you with achieve great goals. Want to set a personal best with your squat and deadlift? Want to finish a work day pain free, or perhaps you want to improve your running technique so you can take part in the “Bridge to Brisbane”.
Proactive treatment instead of passive treatment can help a mother of 4 with a bad back and instead of simply settling her acute symptoms, it can address the cause of her back pain and avoid future flare ups! You could even take that further and help her build strength so she can out lift her husband.
So What Is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is one of the best ways to help people progress towards their movement goals. Those goals may be anything...they may be about reducing pain and symptoms from injury, preparing for an event, getting stronger, addressing secondary impacts of other health conditions, avoiding injuries, or even helping a child learn to move for the first time. A Physio then might be your initial treatment, your goal achievement coach, your chance to train with a true movement and exercise expert, or simply your chance to improve your physical being.
Physiotherapy is in the industry of creating change for our clients and patients. Its having a specific working hypothesis thats agreed with the patient who is fully involved with treatment and fully understands what's wrong with them.
We have several key things in place at The Movement Team to ensure this happens.
- Our physio's are in charge of their own time with no time limits or patient limits set on them by the management. This allows each patient interaction to be treatment and result based, not one of a financial/business need. Your physio wont be telling you to come back to see them unless its absolutely needed.
- We do not treat more than 1 patient at a time.
- You will be hard pushed to find a TEN”s, Ultrasound or any other electrotherapy machine used at the clinic unless it has a clear an obvious goal attached to it. (There are many applications of electrotherapy which a very valid, however 90% of patients will benefit another type of intervention more!).
- We have a fully stocked gym where you can do both early stage exercises all the way through to high end strength and conditioning and all equipment is from the best manufacturers in Australia who work with elite sports teams and cross fit gyms. For me a swiss/gym ball and pilates reformer doesn't cut it as a rehabilitation gym.
- We do small training groups based on function- these are low cost and simple to get into and are led by our team.